Thursday, April 22, 2010

Beaujolais is an underrated and overlooked wine that has a range of quality and a large percentage are relatively affordable for the day to day consumer. The midrange beaujolais will remind you of a Pinot Noir and the super high end when aged for a long time (sometimes up to 10 or 12 years) will rival your favorite heavy wines (like a cabernet).

What are the facts? Well here they are:


1. Beaujolais is from the Burgandy region of France and it happens to be the region that produces the most red wine in Burgandy. Although, there are some white beaujolais wines (predominantly made from the chardonnay or aligote grape). Beaujolais can be found in three levels (besides nouveau). The straight Beaujolais, Beaujolais-Village, and Beaujolais-Cru.

2. Beaujolais comes from the Gamay grape. Historically the Gamay grape origins are with the Pinot Noir grape, thus the similarities in style.

3. Beaujolais has a bad name from when this guy Georges Duboeuf (who does import some darn good wine so don't get down on him) imported Beaujolais Nouveau. The Nouveau is quite sweet and is from the first harvest of the Gamay grape in the fall. Think wine cooler or vodka/cranberry with a quarter of a cup of sugar. So in essence...not that great. Probably leaves you with a wicked hangover too. I don't know though I haven't had one.

4. You should give them another try. I know I really enjoy them (especially in the summer) and they are an excellent wine for the price.

At the tasting I attended I sampled the following Beaujolais. The first 2 were of the younger style while the third and fourth were aged a bit longer with the fourth being from one of the upper cru's. Not the top mind you but close.

2008 Domaine Pral Beaujolais
What I smell: The bouquet I got tons of red licorice...tons.
What I taste: On the palate I found this to be a very light bodied wine with medium acidity.

2007 Domaine Dupeuble Pere et Fils
What I smell: Again, red licorice
What I taste: On the palate I did get some boot leather, cranberries, and it had a medium acidity.

2006 St. Armand Beaujolais-Villages Vieilles Vignes
What I smell: Again red licorice. Get the idea about these younger wines? They're a bit candified.
What I taste: On the taste for being a bit older I found the mid palate to be a little light and short lived. I would have expected more. However, this wine is defintely more complex than the first two. Much more acidity.

2007 Côte de Brouilly Château Thivin
What I smell: Red licorice (but less candy more fruity), oak, and cherries.
What I taste: Complex and well blended flavors. The tannins were great and I would even let this wine lie down for maybe another year or 2.

After note: When I let them sit for a while in their glasses the candified (red licorice) smell dissipated leaving a more cranberry sort of bouquet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment